[Numpy-discussion] Binary releases

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Mon Sep 16 15:09:47 EDT 2013

In article <8E95A257-3F06-43B7-8407-95916D284FE6 at mac.com>,
 William Ray Wing <wrw at mac.com> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Numpy 1.8 is about ready for an rc1, which brings up the question of which
> > binary builds so put up on sourceforge. For Windows maybe
>
> [byte]
>
> > 	  For Mac there is first the question of OS X versions, (10.5?), 10.6,
> > 10.7, 10.8. I don't know if some builds work on more than one OS X version.
> > The 10.5 version is a bit harder to come by than 10.6 and up. It looks like
> > 10.9 is coming up, but it isn't out yet. I have no idea what Python version
> > to match up these, but assuming all of them, then
> > 	€ OS X 10.6  python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, compiled with native compiler,
> > linked with Accelerate.
> > 	€ OS X 10.7  python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, compiled with native compiler,
> > linked with Accelerate.
> > 	€ OS X 10.8  python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, compiled with native compiler,
> > linked with Accelerate.
> > That seems like a lot. It is fairly easy to compile from source on the mac
> > these days, are all those binary packages really needed?
> >
> > I don't know what I am doing with the binary stuff, so any suggestions are
> > welcome.
>

> If you will forgive an observation from a Mac user and (amateur) developer.
> I have twice tried to build Numpy from source and both times failed.  The
> problem was that I couldn't find a single comprehensive set of directions
> that started from a virgin system (nothing but Apple's python and Xcode) and
> proceed to working copies of Numpy (and of course Matplotlib).
>
> Long time users know all about the differences between SourceForge, Github,
> and such.  But bootstrapping pip, homebrew, macports, and similar was totally
> opaque to me.
>
> Sorry for the rant, but what I'm trying to say is that if there were such a
> recipe and it was clearly pointed to, then the need for a lengthy list of
> binaries would be pretty much moot.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> Bill

I sympathize.

Unfortunately it changes all the time so it's hard to keep up to date.

The usual suggestion is to either install a self-contained python
distribution such as Anaconda, which contains all sorts of useful
packages, or use the the binary installer (which requires python.org
python).

For the record: binary installers offer a very important additional
benefit: the resulting package can be included in an application with
some assurance about what versions of MacOS X it supports. If you build
from source you probably have no idea what versions of MacOS X the
package will support -- which is fine for personal use, but not for
distribution.

-- Russell