[Numpy-discussion] Using setuptools develop mode with numpy distutils

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 17 19:16:02 EDT 2013

Hi,

I need to use numpy's distutils Extension to build a fortran / f2py
extension.

But I also really like setuptools' "develop" mode.

However, if I do:

from numpy.distutils.core import Extension

and use that to define my Extension object, but use:

from setuptools import setup

And use that for the main setup, I get:

error: each element of 'ext_modules' option must be an Extension instance
or 2-tuple

So apparently setuptools doesn't recognize numpy's Extension object as an
Extension object.

Is there a way around this?

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov