[Numpy-discussion] Dates and times and Datetime64 (again)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 1 12:10:34 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> > The difference is that datetime.datetime doesn't provide any iso string
> parsing.
>
> Sure it does. datetime.strptime, with the %z modifier in particular.

that's not ISO parsing, that's parsing according to a user-defined format
string, which can be used for ISO parsing, but the user is in control of
how that's done. And I see this:

"For a naive object, the %z and %Z format codes are replaced by empty
strings."

 though I'm not entirely sure what that means -- probably only for writing.

> The use case I'm imagining is for folks with ISO strings with a Z on the
> end -- they'll need to deal with pre-parsing the strings to strip off the
> Z, when it wouldn't change the result.
> >
> > Maybe this is an argument for "UTC always" rather than "naive"?
>
> Probably it is, but that approach seems a lot harder to extend to proper
> tz support later, plus being more likely to cause trouble for pandas's
> proper tz support now.

I was originally advocating for naive to begin with ;-) Someone else pushed
for UTC -- I thought it was you! (but I guess not)

It seems this committee of two has come to a consensus on naive -- and
you're probably right, raise an exception if there is a time zone specifier.

-CHB

>  -n

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov