[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.8.1 release

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 13:53:46 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm guessing that the LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH means that a DLL loaded via:
>>
>> hDLL = LoadLibraryEx(pathname, NULL,  LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH);
>>
>> will in turn (by default) search for its dependent DLLs in their own
>> directory.    Or maybe in the directory of the first DLL to be loaded
>> with LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH, damned if I can follow the
>> documentation.  Looking forward to doing my tax return after this.
>>
>> But - anyway - that means that any extensions in the DLLs directory
>> will get their dependencies from the DLLs directory, but that is only
>> true for extensions in that directory.
>
> So in conclusion, if we just drop our compiled dependencies next to
> the compiled module files then we're good, even on older Windows
> versions? That sounds much simpler than previous discussions, but good
> news if it's true...

I think that's right, but as you can see, I am not sure.

It might explain why Carl Kleffner found that he could drop
libopenblas.dll in numpy/core and it just worked [1].  Well, if all
the extensions using blas / lapack are in fact in numpy/core.

Christoph - have you tried doing the same with MKL?

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/Default-builds-of-OpenBLAS-development-branch-are-now-fork-safe-td36523.html