[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.8.1 release

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 18:58:44 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm guessing that the LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH means that a DLL
> loaded via:
> >
> > hDLL = LoadLibraryEx(pathname, NULL,  LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH);
> >
> > will in turn (by default) search for its dependent DLLs in their own
> > directory.    Or maybe in the directory of the first DLL to be loaded
> > with LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH, damned if I can follow the
> > documentation.  Looking forward to doing my tax return after this.
> >
> > But - anyway - that means that any extensions in the DLLs directory
> > will get their dependencies from the DLLs directory, but that is only
> > true for extensions in that directory.
>
> So in conclusion, if we just drop our compiled dependencies next to
> the compiled module files then we're good, even on older Windows
> versions? That sounds much simpler than previous discussions, but good
> news if it's true...

That does not work very well in my experience:

  - numpy has extension modules in multiple directories, so we would need
to copy the dlls in multiple subdirectories
  - copying dlls means that windows will load that dll multiple times, with
all the ensuing problems (I don't know for MKL/OpenBlas, but we've seen
serious issues when doing something similar for hdf5 dll and pytables/h5py).

David