[Numpy-discussion] Default builds of OpenBLAS development branch are now fork safe
sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 19:28:09 EDT 2014
Carl Kleffner <cmkleffner at gmail.com> wrote:
> MKL BLAS LAPACK has issues as well:
> In case of OpenBLAS or GOTOBLAS what precisly is the problem you identify
> as showstopper?
However, the main problem is the quality of the projects:
- GotoBLAS2 is abandonware. After Goto went to Intel, all development has
ceased. Any bugs will not be fixed.
- GotoBLAS2 uses OpenMP on Posix. GOMP is not fork-safe (though not an
issue on Windows).
- OpenBLAS looks a bit like a one-man student project. Right now Zhang
Xianyi is writing his dissertation, so development has stopped.
- The SIMD code is written in inline assembly instead of using compiler
intrinsics for SIMD ops. This makes it hard to contribute as it is
insufficient just to know C.
- AT&T syntax in the inline assembly prevents us from building with MSVC.
More information about the NumPy-Discussion