[Numpy-discussion] The BLAS problem (was: Re: Wiki page for building numerical stuff on Windows)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Apr 11 15:34:18 EDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM, Julian Taylor
<jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 11.04.2014 18:03, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Carl Kleffner <cmkleffner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> a discussion about OpenBLAS on the octave maintainer list:
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.maintainers/38746
>>
>> I'm getting the impression that OpenBLAS is being both a tantalizing
>> opportunity and a practical thorn-in-the-side for everyone -- Python,
>> Octave, Julia, R.
>>

> does anyone have experience with BLIS?
> https://code.google.com/p/blis/
> https://github.com/flame/blis

Also:

Does BLIS automatically detect my hardware?

Not yet. For now, BLIS requires the user/developer to manually specify
an existing configuration that corresponds to the hardware for which
to build a BLIS library.

So for now, BLIS is mostly a developer's tool?

Yes. In order to achieve high performance, BLIS requires that
hand-coded kernels and micro-kernels be written and referenced in a
valid BLIS configuration. These components are usually written by
developers and then included within BLIS for use by others.

If high performance is not important, then you can always build the
reference implementation on any hardware platform. The reference
implementation does not contain any machine-specific code and thus
should be very portable.

Does BLIS support multithreading?

BLIS does not yet implement multithreaded versions of its operations.
However, BLIS can very easily be made thread-safe so that you can call
BLIS from threads[...]

Can I build BLIS as a shared library?

The BLIS build system is not yet capable of outputting a shared library. [...]

https://code.google.com/p/blis/wiki/FAQ

--
Nathaniel J. Smith
http://vorpus.org