[Numpy-discussion] 1.9.x branch

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:35:20 EDT 2014

Hi All,

I'd like to branch 1.9.x at the end of the month. There are a couple of
reasons for the timing. First, we have a lot of new stuff in the
development branch. Second, there is work ongoing in masked arrays that I'd
like to keep out of the release so that it has more time to settle. Third,
it's past time ;)

There are currently a number of 1.9.0 blockers, which can be seen
here<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues?direction=desc&milestone=29&page=1&sort=updated&state=open>.

*Datetime timezone handling broken in
1.7.x*<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3388>

I don't think there is time to get this done for 1.9.0 and it needs to be
pushed off to 1.10.0.

*Return multiple field selection as ro view
<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3804>*
I have a branch for this, but because the returned type differs from a copy
by alignment spacing there was a test failure. Merging that branch might
cause some incompatibilities.

*Object array creation new conversion to
int*<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3804>

This one needs a decision. Julian, Sebastian, thoughts?

*Median of np.matrix is broken* <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/4301>

Not sure what the status of this one is.

*1.8 deprecations: Follow-up ticket
<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/4131>*

Things that might should be removed.

*ERROR: test_big_arrays (test_io.TestSavezLoad) on OS X + Python 3.3
<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3858>*

I believe this one was fixed. For general problems reading/writing big
files on OS X, I believe they were fixed in Maverick and I'm inclined to
recommend an OS upgrade rather than work to chunk all the io.
Deprecate NPY_CHAR <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/2801>This one is
waiting on a fix from Pearu to make f2py use numpy strings. I think we will
need to do this ourselves if we want to carry through the deprecation. In
any case it probably needs to be pushed off to 1.10.
1.7 deprecations: Follow-up
ticket<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/456>Some
of these changes have been made, ro diagonal view for instance, some still
remain.

Additions, updates, and thoughts welcome.

Chuck