[Numpy-discussion] 64-bit windows numpy / scipy wheels for testing

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 01:57:39 EDT 2014

Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to Cark Kleffner's toolchain and some help from Clint Whaley
> (main author of ATLAS), I've built 64-bit windows numpy and scipy
> wheels for testing.

Thanks for your great effort to solve this mess.

By Murphy's law, I do not have access to a Windows computer on which to
test now. :-(

This approach worries me a bit though: Will we have to maintain a fork of
MinGW-w64 for building NumPy and SciPy? Should this toolset be distributed
along with NumPy and SciPy on Windows? I presume it is needed to build C
and Cython extensions?

On the positive side: Does this mean we finally can use gfortran on
Windows? And if so, can we use Fortran versions beyond Fortran 77 in SciPy
now? Or is Mac OS X a blocker?

Sturla