[Numpy-discussion] The BLAS problem (was: Re: Wiki page for building numerical stuff on Windows)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Apr 28 20:01:14 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 12:52 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/04/14 01:30, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
>> I finally read this paper:
>>
>>     http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/flame/pubs/blis2_toms_rev2.pdf
>>
>> and I have to say that I'm no longer so convinced that OpenBLAS is the
>> right starting point.
>
> I think OpenBLAS in the long run is doomed as an OSS project. Having
> huge portions of the source in assembly is not sustainable in 2014.
> OpenBLAS (like GotoBLAS2 before it) runs a high risk of becoming
> abandonware.

Have you read the paper I linked? I really recommend it. BLIS is
apparently 95% straight-up-C, plus a slot where you stick in a tiny
CPU-specific super-optimized kernel [1]. So this localizes the nasty
stuff to one tiny function, plus most of the kernels that have been
written so far do in fact use intrinsics [2].

[1] https://code.google.com/p/blis/wiki/KernelsHowTo
[2] https://code.google.com/p/blis/wiki/HardwareSupport

--
Nathaniel J. Smith