[Numpy-discussion] The BLAS problem (was: Re: Wiki page for building numerical stuff on Windows)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Apr 28 20:23:36 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Julian Taylor
<jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 29.04.2014 02:05, Matthew Brett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>>> It would be really interesting if someone were to try hacking simple
>>> runtime CPU detection into BLIS and see how far you could get -- right
>>> now they do kernel selection via the C preprocessor, but hacking in
>>> some function pointer thing instead would not be that hard I think. A
>>> maintainable library that builds on Linux/OSX/Windows, gets
>>> competitive performance on last-but-one generation x86-64 CPUs, and
>>> gets better-than-reference-BLAS performance everywhere else, would be
>>> a very very compelling product that I bet would quickly attract the
>>> necessary attention to make it competitive on all CPUs.
>>
>> I wonder - is there anyone who might be able to do this work, if we
>> found funding for a couple of months to do it?
>
> On scipy-dev a interesting BLIS related message was posted recently:
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2014-April/019790.html
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~flame/web/
>
> It seems some work of integrating BLIS into a proper BLAS/LAPACK library
> is already done.

BLIS itself ships with a BLAS-compatible interface, that you can use
with reference LAPACK (just like OpenBLAS). I wouldn't be surprised if
there are various annoying Fortran/C ABI hacks remaining to be worked
out, but at least in principle BLIS is a BLAS. The problem is that
this BLAS has no threading, runtime configuration (you have to edit a
config file and recompile to change CPU support), or windows build
goop. Basically the authors seem to still be thinking of a BLAS
library's target audience as being supercomputer sysadmins, not naive
end-users.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith