[Numpy-discussion] Remove numpy/compat/_inspect.py ?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 09:59:53 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Importing inspect looks to take about  500 ns on my machine. Although It is
> hard to be exact, as I suspect the file is sitting in the file cache. Would
> probably be slower with hard disks.

Or where site-packages is on NFS.

> But as the inspect module is already
> imported elsewhere, the python interpreter should also have it cached.

Not on a normal import it's not.

>>> import numpy
>>> import sys
>>> sys.modules['inspect']
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
KeyError: 'inspect'

You should feel free to remove whatever parts of `_inspect` are not
being used and to move the parts that are closer to where they are
used if you feel compelled to. Please do not replace the current uses
of `_inspect` with `inspect`.

--
Robert Kern