[Numpy-discussion] Preliminary thoughts on implementing __matmul__

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 18:45:30 EDT 2014

On 8/6/2014 5:05 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I've thought for ages that if you want to naturally do
> linear algebra, you need to capture the concept of a row
> and column vector as distinct from
> each-other and from (1,n) and (n,1) shape arrays. So:

It seems to me that although this it may sound trivial to
"add two flags", this is a fundamental conceptual change,
and I hope it will not go forward without extensive
discussion.

To aid users like me who might want to think about this, can you
please suggest for exploration a language that has adopted
this approach. (Ideally, where the decision is considered a good
one.)

Thank you,
Alan Isaac