[Numpy-discussion] Preliminary thoughts on implementing __matmul__

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Thu Aug 7 05:40:53 EDT 2014

On Mi, 2014-08-06 at 14:05 -0700, Chris Barker wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Should also mention that we don't have the ability to operate
>         on stacked vectors because they can't be identified by
>         dimension info. One workaround is to add dummy dimensions
>         where needed, another is to add two flags, row and col, and
>         set them appropriately.
>

> I've thought for ages that if you want to naturally do linear algebra,
> you need to capture the concept of a row and column vector as distinct
> from each-other and from (1,n) and (n,1) shape arrays. So:

As a first thought I am against flags. We have dot, and vdot, which
ideally would at some point do stacked matrix-matrix and stacked
vector-vector (albeit vdot does complex conjugation). vector-matrix and
matrix-vector would require the user to use (1, n) or (n, 1) matrices.
If someone can convince me that this is a big deal, flags might be the
only option, though...

- Sebastian