[Numpy-discussion] Help - numpy / scipy binary compatibility

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 21:41:21 EDT 2014

Hi,

I would be very happy of some help trying to work out a numpy package
binary incompatibility.

I'm trying to work out what's happening for this ticket:

https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/3863

which I summarized at the end:

https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/3863#issuecomment-51669861

but basically, we're getting these errors:

RuntimeWarning: numpy.dtype size changed, may indicate binary incompatibility

I now realize I am lost in the world of numpy / scipy etc binary
compatibility, I'd really like some advice.    In this case

numpy == 1.8.1
scipy == 0.14.0 - compiled against numpy 1.5.1
scikit-learn == 0.15.1 compiled against numpy 1.6.0

Can y'all see any potential problem with those dependencies in binary builds?

The relevant scipy Cython c files seem to guard against raising this
error by doing not-strict checks of the e.g. numpy dtype, so I am
confused how these errors come about.  Can anyone give any pointers?

Cheers,

Matthew