[Numpy-discussion] OpenBLAS and dotblas

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 10:28:54 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Carl Kleffner <cmkleffner at gmail.com> wrote:

> numpy dot is using BLAS with OpenBLAS. Tested on Linux and Windows (see
> https://bitbucket.org/carlkl/mingw-w64-for-python/downloads)
>
> Regards
>
> Carl

> Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > It looks like numpy dot only uses BLAS if ATLAS is present, see
>> > numpy/core/setup.py. Has anyone done the mods needed to use OpenBLAS?
>> What
>> > is the current status of using OpenBLAS with numpy?
>>
>> I thought it also uses BLAS if MKL or Accerate Framework is present, but I
>> am not sure about OpenBLAS, ACML or Cray libsci.

Yeah, I figured that out, there is a comment in dotblas that says not, but
checking how things are configured, it turns out they should be good. The
original problem seems to have been that dotblas requires cblas and can't
work with fortran blas. OTOH, linalg uses the f2c interface and, I presume,
can link to fortran libraries. It would be nice to unify the two at some
point.

Chuck