[Numpy-discussion] NumPy-Discussion OpenBLAS and dotblas

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Aug 9 16:11:19 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. I am working on numpy in pypy. It would be much more challenging for
> me if you merged more code into the core of numpy,

Hi Matti,

I can definitely see how numpy changes cause trouble for you, and
sympathize. But, can you elaborate on what kind of changes would make
your life easier *that also* help make numpy proper better in their
own right? Because unfortunately, I don't see how we can reasonably
pass up on improvements to numpy if the only justification is to make
numpypy's life easier. (I'd also love to see pypy become usable for
general numerical work, but not only is it not there now, I don't see
how numpypy will ultimately get us there even if we do help it along
-- almost none of the ecosystem can get by numpy's python-level APIs
alone.) But obviously if there are changes that are mutually
beneficial, well then, that's a lot easier to justify :-)

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith
http://vorpus.org