[Numpy-discussion] NumPy-Discussion OpenBLAS and dotblas

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 13:50:21 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Nathaniel.
> > Thanks for your prompt reply. I think numpy is a wonderful project, and
> you
> > all do a great job moving it forward.
> > If you ask what would my vision for maturing numpy, I would like to see a
> > grouping of linalg matrix-operation functionality into a python level
> > package, exactly the opposite of more tightly tying linalg into the core
> of
> > numpy.
>
> As I understood it (though I admit Chuck was pretty terse, maybe he'll
> correct me :-)), what he was proposing was basically just a build
> system reorganization -- it's much easier to call between C functions
> that are in the same Python module than C functions that are in
> different modules, so we end up with lots of boilerplate gunk for the
> latter. I don't think it would involve any tighter coupling than we
> already have in practice.

I'm trying to think of the correct sequence of moves. Here are my current
thoughts.

   - Move _dotblas down into multiarray
   1. When there is cblas, add cblas implementations of decr->f->dot.
      2. Reimplement API matrixproduct2
      3. Make ndarray.dot a first class method and use it for numpy.dot.
   - Implement matmul
   1. Add matrixmultiply (matmul?) to the numpy API
      2. Implement __matmul__ method.
      3. Add functions to linalg for stacked vectors.
      4. Make sure __matmul__ works with __numpy_ufunc__
   - Consider using blas_lite instead of cblas, but that is now independent
   of the previous steps.

<snip>

Chuck