[Numpy-discussion] NumPy-Discussion OpenBLAS and dotblas

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 19:47:53 EDT 2014

Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> BLAS/LAPACK are heavy dependencies that often give problems, which is why
>>> you don't want to require them for the casual user that only needs numpy
>>> arrays to make some plots for examples.
>>
>> Maybe we are not talking about the same thing, but isn't blas_lite.c and
>> lapack_lite.c more or less f2c'd versions of reference BLAS and reference
>> LAPACK?
>
> Not all of them, no. Just the routines that numpy itself uses. Hence, "lite".

I thought it got the 'lite' name because Netlib up to LAPACK 3.1.1 had
packages named 'lapack-lite-3.1.1.tgz' in addition to 'lapack-3.1.1.tgz'.
(I am not sure what the differences between the packages were.)

The lapack_lite.c file looks rather complete, but it seems the build
process somehow extracts only parts of it.

Sturla