[Numpy-discussion] Guidance regarding build and testing

Maniteja Nandana maniteja.modesty067 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 13:17:14 EST 2014

Hello Ralf,
Thanks for the help. Now I am able to see the modifications in the
interpreter. As I was going through broadcasting and slicing, I was eager
to try out different modifications to understand the working.

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Almost. test_xxx.py contains tests for all functions in the file xxx.py

Sorry was a bit confused then. Thanks for the correction  :)

> Note that there is also a variant which does use virtualenvs documented at
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/HACKING.rst.txt#faq (under "*How
> do I set up a development version of SciPy in parallel to a released
> version that I use to do my job/research?").*
>

>> maniteja at ubuntu:~/FOSS/numpy$ echo $PYTHONPATH
>> /home/maniteja/FOSS/numpy/numpy
>>

> Maybe that's one /numpy too many? If it's right, you should have a dir
> /home/maniteja/FOSS/numpy/
> numpy/numpy/core.
>
>  No I have setup.py in home/maniteja/FOSS/numpy/numpy.
 Hence, I have core also as home/maniteja/FOSS/numpy/numpy/core

> An easy way to check which numpy you're using is "import numpy;
>> print(numpy.__file__)".
>>

> Thanks, I didn't get the idea then. It now shows
'/home/maniteja/FOSS/numpy/numpy/__init__.pyc'

The documentation tells that the PWD of the setup.py is to be set as
PYTHONPATH variable.

This is fine. You should not develop directly on your own master branch.
> Rather, keep your master branch in sync with numpy master, and create a new
> feature branch for every new feature that you want to work on.
>
> Ralf
>
> Oh thanks, I have only used git for my local repositories or collaboration
with peers. So just wanted to clarify before I end up messing anything :),
though there I know that there needs to be write access to modify the
master branch.

Lastly, it would be great if you could suggest whether I should learn
Cython or any other codebase to understand the source code and also the
timings preferable to work and discuss on the mailing lists as I stay in
India ,which is GMT+5:30 timezone. This is my winter holidays. So, I could
adjust my timings accordingly as I have no schoolwork :)

Thanks,
Maniteja.