[Numpy-discussion] Guidance regarding build and testing

Ryan Nelson rnelsonchem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 10:00:57 EST 2014

Maniteja,

Ralf's suggestion for Numpy works very well. In a more general case,
though, you might want to play around with conda, the package manager for
Anaconda's Python distribution (http://continuum.io/downloads).

I use the Miniconda package, which is pretty much just conda, to create new
"environments," which are a lot like virtualenvs (
http://conda.pydata.org/docs/faq.html#env-creating). The nice thing here is
that all of the dependencies are only downloaded once, and you can make
Python 2 and 3 environments pretty easily.

For example, to make a Python 3 environment, you could use the following:
$ conda create -n npy3 python=3 numpy ipython
$ source activate npy3
That creates a Python3 environment called "npy3" with numpy, ipython, and
all the dependencies. Once activated, you can remove the conda version of
numpy and then install the development version:
[npy3]$ conda remove numpy
[npy3]$ python setup.py install
### Do dev stuff ###
[npy3]$ source deactivate

This is not necessary for what you are trying to do, but it might be
helpful to know about as you move along.

Ryan