[Numpy-discussion] Guidance regarding build and testing

Maniteja Nandana maniteja.modesty067 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 10:40:49 EST 2014

Hi Ryan,

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM, Ryan Nelson <rnelsonchem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maniteja,
>
> Ralf's suggestion for Numpy works very well. In a more general case,
> though, you might want to play around with conda, the package manager for
> Anaconda's Python distribution (http://continuum.io/downloads).
>
> I use the Miniconda package, which is pretty much just conda, to create
> new "environments," which are a lot like virtualenvs (
> http://conda.pydata.org/docs/faq.html#env-creating). The nice thing here
> is that all of the dependencies are only downloaded once, and you can make
> Python 2 and 3 environments pretty easily.
>
> For example, to make a Python 3 environment, you could use the following:
> $ conda create -n npy3 python=3 numpy ipython
> $ source activate npy3
> That creates a Python3 environment called "npy3" with numpy, ipython, and
> all the dependencies. Once activated, you can remove the conda version of
> numpy and then install the development version:
> [npy3]$ conda remove numpy
> [npy3]$ python setup.py install
> ### Do dev stuff ###
> [npy3]$ source deactivate
>
> This is not necessary for what you are trying to do, but it might be
> helpful to know about as you move along.
>
> Ryan

Thank you for the suggestion. I will remember this as a viable option. As
of now, I have a virtual machine of ubuntu running on Windows. So, I wanted
to have least overhead while running the VM. I have been following the
discussion lists for about a month but I am now looking at trying out
working hands-on with the code.

With regards,
Maniteja.