[Numpy-discussion] npymath on Windows

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 07:23:30 EST 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 1:59 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for this ignorant email, but we got confused trying to use
>> 'libnpymath.a' from the mingw builds of numpy:
>>
>> We were trying to link against the mingw numpy 'libnpymath.a' using
>> Visual Studio C, but this give undefined symbols from 'libnpymath.a'
>> like this:
>

> This is not really supported. You should avoid mixing compilers when
> building C extensions using numpy C API. Either all mingw, or all MSVC.

It would be very useful to support MSVC compilation from our standard binaries.

We (nipy / dipy) have had to remove our dependence on the npymath
library because - at the moment - the naive user may find themselves
trying to compile the package with visual C when they have the
standard numpy windows package, and this will fail for them.

How about shipping an MSVC-compiled npymath.lib with the mingw compiled package?

Cheers,

Matthew