[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 05:10:32 EST 2014

I just thought i'd mention this:

Why not use Eigen? It has a full BLAS implementation and passes the BLAS
test suite, and is generelly faster than MKL except on Core i7. Also, Eigen
requires no build process, just include the header files.

Yes, Eigen is based on C++, but OpenBLAS is parially coded in assembly.
Whatever language is used internally in the BLAS implementation should be
of no concern to NumPy.

BTW: The performance of OpenBLAS is far behind Eigen, MKL and ACML, but
better than ATLAS and Accelerate.

Sturla