[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 04:31:30 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher at gmail.com>
wrote:
> According to the discussions on the ML, they switched from GPL to MPL
> to enable the kind of distribution numpy/scipy is looking for. They
> had some hesitations between BSD and MPL, but IIRC their official
> stand is to allow inclusion inside BSD-licensed code.

If they want BSD-licensed projects to incorporate their code, they need to
license it under the BSD license (or similar). They are not in a position
to "allow" their MPL-licensed code to be included in a BSD-licensed
project. That just doesn't mean anything. We never needed their permission.
We could be "BSD-licensed except for this one bit which is MPLed", but we
don't want to be.

--
Robert Kern