[Numpy-discussion] deprecate numpy.matrix

Jacco Hoekstra - LR J.M.Hoekstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Feb 11 07:16:09 EST 2014

For our students, the matrix class is really appealing as we use a lot of linear algebra and expressions with matrices simply look better with an operator instead of a function:

	x=A.I*b

looks much better than

	x = np.dot(np.linalg.inv(A),b)

And this gets worse when the expression is longer:

	x = R.I*A*R*b

becomes:

	x = np.dot( np.linalg.inv(R), np.dot(A, np.dot(R, b)))

Actually, not being involved in earlier discussions on this topic, I was a bit surprised by this and do not see the problem of having the matrix class as nobody is obliged to use it. I tried to find the reasons, but did not find it in the thread mentioned. Maybe someone could summarize the main problem with keeping this class for newbies on this list like me?

Anyway, I would say that there is a clear use for the matrix class: readability of linear algebra code and hence a lower chance of errors, so higher productivity.

Just my 2cts,
    Jacco Hoekstra

P.S. Also:   A = np.mat("2 3 ; -1 0") is very handy!