[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: Chaining np.dot with mdot helper function

Stefan Otte stefan.otte at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 04:17:56 EST 2014

Just to give an idea about the performance implications I timed the
operations on my machine

%timeit reduce(dotp, [x, v, x.T, y]).shape
1 loops, best of 3: 1.32 s per loop

%timeit reduce(dotTp, [x, v, x.T, y][::-1]).shape
1000 loops, best of 3: 394 µs per loop

I was just interested in a nicer formulas but if the side effect is a
performance improvement I can live with that.

Pauli Virtanen posed in the issue an older discussion on the mailinglist:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/14288/

Beste Grüße,
 Stefan