[Numpy-discussion] 1.8.1 release

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 26 14:02:15 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Tom Augspurger
<tom.augspurger88 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks for posting those wheels Matthew.
>
> I'm on a Mac (10.9.2) and I had trouble installing numpy from your wheel in
> a fresh virtualenv with the latests pip, setuptools, and wheel.
>
> ```
> $pip install
> ~/Downloads/numpy-1.8.0.dev_a89a36e-cp27-none-macosx_10_9_intel.whl
> numpy-1.8.0.dev_a89a36e-cp27-none-macosx_10_9_intel.whl is not a supported
> wheel on this platform.
> Storing debug log for failure in /Users/admin/.pip/pip.log
> ```

IIRC, those wheels are built for the pyton.org builds of python:

 macosx_10_9 means it was built on 10.9 (though that should be 10.6, I
think, as it is built FOR 106+, not only 10.9..)

 _intel means it's an Intel build, which in the nomenclature used in the
pyton.org builds, means it's a universal 32 and 64 bit Intel

> When I build a wheel from source, my platform is `x86_64`.

What python are you using? apparently not a Universal 32+64 bit build. The
one Apple delivers?

```
> $mv numpy-1.8.0.dev_a89a36e-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_intel.whl
> numpy-1.8.0.dev_a89a36e-cp27-none-macosx_10_6_x86_64.whl
> ```
>
> and then running `pip install` on that wheel successfully installed numpy
> (and the test suite passed).

I'm not entirely sure we can count on that working, as I _think_ the SDK
that the wheel was built against is different than the one your python was
built against.

But it theory, one should be able to install a universal wheel into a
one-of-the-architectures build, the other one will get ignored (as it seems
to be for you), but I think it's fragile in general.

This is a serious issue with binary wheels -- there are so many variations
to a "platform" -- the naming scheme covers OS, OS version, and bit depth,
but not system library versions, and who the heck knows what else.

This has been discussed a lot on the dist_utils list, with no real solution
in sight:
   - there are other alternative, for instance, I think conda packages have
some sort of hash or something to make sure that binary packages all match.

  - convention is the other option:
    - use binary wheel for in-house deplyment to similar systems
    - use binary wheels for a well-defined python build:
       - for PyPi, that's the python.org builds for Windows and OS-

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov