[Numpy-discussion] ANN: XDress v0.4

Anthony Scopatz scopatz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 07:36:14 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Eelco Hoogendoorn <
hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of this project. While
> boost.python is a very nice package, its distributability is nothing short
> of nonexistent, so its great to have a pure python binding generator.

Thanks!

> One thing which I have often found frustrating is natural ndarray interop
> between python and C++. Is there a (planned) mechanism for mapping
> arbitrary strided python ndarrays to boost arrays?

Not yet!  The architecture is very modular (it is just a series of plugins)
so I would welcome anyone who wants to tackle this to take a look into it.
 I don't think that it would be *that* hard.  You'd just need to write the
Py-to-C++ and C++-to-Py converters for the boost array type.  This
shouldn't be too hard since std::vector goes through pretty much exactly
the same mechanism for exposing to numpy. So there are already a couple of
examples of this workflow.  Please feel free to jump on the xdress mailing
list if you want to discuss this in more depth!

Also I didn't know about ndarray/Boost.NumPy. This seems like it could be
useful!

Be Well
Anthony