[Numpy-discussion] (no subject)

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 11:46:36 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 9:26 AM, jennifer stone <jenny.stone125 at gmail.com>wrote:

> >What are your interests and experience? If you use numpy, are there things
>> >you would like to fix, or enhancements you would like to see?
>>
>> Chuck
>>

>  I am an undergraduate student with CS as major and have interest in Math
> and Physics. This has led me to use NumPy and SciPy to work on innumerable
> cases involving special polynomial functions and polynomials like Legendre
> polynomials, Bessel Functions and so on. So, The packages are closer known
> to me from this point of view. I have a* few proposals* in mind. But I
> don't have any idea if they are acceptable within the scope of GSoC
> 1. Many special functions and polynomials are neither included in NumPy
> nor on SciPy.. These include Ellipsoidal Harmonic Functions (lames
> function), Cylindrical Harmonic function. Scipy at present supports only
> spherical Harmonic function.
> Further, why cant we extend SciPy  to incorporate* Inverse Laplace
> Transforms*? At present Matlab has this amazing function *ilaplace* and
> SymPy does have *Inverse_Laplace_transform* but it would be better to
> incorporate all in one package. I mean SciPy does have function to evaluate
> laplace transform
>
> After having written this, I feel that this post should have been sent to
> SciPy
> but as a majority of contributors are the same I proceed.
> Please suggest any other possible projects, as I would like to continue
> with SciPy or NumPy, preferably NumPy as I have been fiddling with its
> source code for a month now and so am pretty comfortable with it.
>
> As for my experience, I have known C for past 4 years and have been a
> python lover for past 1 year. I am pretty new to open source communities,
> started before a manth and a half.

It does sound like scipy might be a better match, I don't think anyone
would complain if you cross posted. Both scipy and numpy require GSOC
candidates to have a pull request accepted as part of the application
process. I'd suggest implementing a function not currently in scipy that
you think would be useful. That would also help in finding a mentor for the
summer. I'd also suggest getting familiar with cython.

Chuck