[Numpy-discussion] using loadtxt to load a text file in to a numpy array

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 23 20:12:35 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure anymore, after all these threads I think bytes should be
> bytes and strings should be strings

exactly -- that's the py3 model, and I think we really soudl try to conform
to it, it's really the only way to have a robust solution.

> I like the idea of an `encoding_view` on some 'S' bytes, and once we
> have a view like that there is no reason to pretend 'S' bytes are
> text.

right, then they are bytes, not text. period.

I'm not sure if we should conflate encoded text and arbitrary bytes, but it
does make sense to build encoded text on a bytes object.

maybe I didn't pay attention because I didn't care, until we ran into
> the python 3 problems. maybe nobody else did either.

yup -- I think this didn't get a whole lot of review or testing....

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov