[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Jan 26 09:40:44 EST 2014

26.01.2014 14:44, Dinesh Vadhia kirjoitti:
> This conversation gets discussed often with Numpy developers but
> since the requirement for optimized Blas is pretty common these
> days, how about distributing Numpy with OpenBlas by default? People
> who don't want optimized BLAS or OpenBLAS can then edit the
> site.cfg file to add/remove.  I can never remember if Numpy comes
> with Atlas by default but either way, if using MKL is not feasible
> because of its licensing issues then Numpy has to be re-compiled
> with OpenBLAS (for example).  Why not make it easier for developers
> to use Numpy with an in-built optimized Blas.

The Numpy Windows binaries distributed in the numpy project at
sourceforge.net are compiled with ATLAS, which should count as an
optimized BLAS. I don't recall what's the situation with OSX binaries,
but I'd believe they're with Atlas too.

If you are suggesting bundling OpenBLAS with Numpy source releases ---
arguments against:

OpenBLAS is big, and still rapidly moving. Moreover, bundling it with
Numpy does not really make it any easier to build.

--
Pauli Virtanen