[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 03:11:44 EST 2014

On 27/01/14 12:01, Carl Kleffner wrote:
> Did you consider to check the experimental binaries on
> https://code.google.com/p/mingw-w64-static/ for Python-2.7? These
> binaries has been build with with a customized mingw-w64 toolchain.
> These builds are fully statically build and are link against the MSVC90
> runtime libraries (gcc runtime is linked statically) and OpenBLAS.
>
> Carl

Building OpenBLAS and LAPACK is very easy. I used TDM-GCC for Win64.
It's just two makefile (not even a configure script). OpenBLAS and
LAPACK are probably the easiest libraries to build there is.

The main problem for using OpenBLAS with NumPy and SciPy on Windows is
that Python 2.7 from www.python.org does not ship with libpython27.a for
64-bit Python, so we need to maintain our own. Also, GNU compilers are
required to build OpenBLAS. This means we have to build our own
libgfortran as well. The binary is incompatible with the MSVC runtime we
use. I.e. not impossible, but painful.

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2012-August/063740.html

Sturla