[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Carl Kleffner cmkleffner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 07:29:45 EST 2014

I fully agree with you. But you have to consider the following:

- the officially mingw-w64 toolchains are build almost the same way. The
only difference is, that they have non-static builds (that would be
preferable for C++ development BTW)
- you won't get the necessary addons like spec-files, manifest resource
files for msvcr90,100 from there.
- there is a urgent need for a free and portable C,C++, Fortran compiler
for Windows with full blas, lapack support. You won't get that with
numpy-MKL, but with a GNU toolchain and OpenBLAS. Not everyone can buy the
Intel Fortran compiler or is allowed to install it.
- you can build 3rd party extensions which use blas,lapack directly or with
cython with such a toolchain regardless if you use numpy/scipy-MKL or
mingw-based numpy/scipy
- The licence question of numpy-MKL is unclear. I know that MKL is linked
in statically. But can I redistribite it myself or use it in commercial
context without buying a Intel licence?

Carl