[Numpy-discussion] Suggestions for GSoC Projects

jennifer stone jenny.stone125 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 18:01:01 EST 2014

With GSoC 2014 being round the corner, I hereby put up few projects for
discussion that I would love to pursue as a student.
Guidance, suggestions are cordially welcome:-

1. If I am not mistaken, contour integration is not supported by SciPy; in
fact even line integrals of real functions is yet to be implemented in
SciPy, which is surprising. Though we at present have SymPy for line
Integrals, I doubt if there is any open-source python package supporting
the calculation of Contour Integrals. With integrate module of SciPy
already having been properly developed for definite integration,
implementation of line as well as contour integrals, I presume; would not
require work from scratch and shall be a challenging but fruitful project.

2. I really have no idea if the purpose of NumPy or SciPy would encompass
this but we are yet to have indefinite integration. An implementation of
that, though highly challenging, may open doors for innumerable other
functions like the ones to calculate the Laplace transform, Hankel
transform and many more.

3. As stated earlier, we have spherical harmonic functions (with much scope
for dev) we are yet to have elliptical and cylindrical harmonic function,
which may be developed.

4. Lastly, we are yet to have Inverse Laplace transforms which as Ralf has
rightly pointed out it may be too challenging to implement.

5. Further reading the road-map given by Mr.Ralf, I would like to develop
the Bluestein's FFT algorithm.

Thanks for reading along till the end. I shall append to this mail as when
I am struck with ideas. Please do give your valuable guidance