[Numpy-discussion] 64-bit windows numpy / scipy wheels for testing

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 06:46:23 EDT 2014

I guess this one's mainly for Carl:

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 4:56 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/07/14 19:55, Chris Barker wrote:
>>

>>> Indeed -- the default (i.e what you get with pip install numpy) should
>>> be SSE2 -- I":d much rather have a few folks with old hardware have to
>>> go through some hoops that n have most people get something that is
>>> "much slower than MATLAB".
>>

>> I think we should use SSE3 as default. It is already ten years old. Most
>> users (99.999 %) who want binary wheels have an SSE3 capable CPU.
>
> The 99% for SSE2 comes from the Firefox crash reports, where the large
> majority are for very recent Firefox downloads.
>
> If you can identify SSE3 machines from the reported CPU string (as the
> Firefox people did for SSE2), please do have a look a see if you can
> get a count for SSE3 in the Firefox crash reports; if it's close to
> 99% that would make a strong argument:
>
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/wiki/Windows-versions#sse--sse2
> https://gist.github.com/matthew-brett/9cb5274f7451a3eb8fc0

Jonathan Helmus recently pointed out https://ci.appveyor.com in a
discussion on the scikit-image mailing list.  The scikit-image team
are trying to get builds and tests working there.  The configuration
file allows arbitrary cmd and powershell commands executed in a clean
Windows virtual machine.  Do you think it would be possible to get the
wheel builds working on something like that?  That would be a big step
forward, just because the current procedure is rather fiddly, even if
not very difficult.

Any news on the pull request to numpy?  Waiting eagerly :)

Cheers,

Matthew