[Numpy-discussion] Questions about fixes for 1.9.0rc2

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 16:00:06 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sebastian Seberg has fixed one class of test failures due to the indexing
> changes in numpy 1.9.0b1.  There are some remaining errors, and in the case
> of the Matplotlib failures, they look to me to be Matplotlib bugs. The 2-d
> arrays that cause the error are returned by the overloaded
> _interpolate_single_key function in CubicTriInterpolator that is
> documented in the base class to return a 1-d array, whereas the actual
> dimensions are of the form (n, 1). The question is, what is the best work
> around here for these sorts errors? Can we afford to break Matplotlib and
> other packages on account of a bug that was previously accepted by Numpy?
> Perhaps a FutureWarning rather than an error would be more appropriate at
> this point, and that modification would be easy to make.
>
> Thoughts?

I'll add that all of the remaining test failures, with the possible
exception of the Tables errors, look like bugs to me. The Tables errors
result from the fact that in fancy indexing assignment into 1-d array the
right hand side used to be repeated until sufficient values for the
assignment were available. Not sure what to do about that.

Chuck