[Numpy-discussion] __numpy_ufunc__ and 1.9 release

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:06:26 EDT 2014

hi,
as you may know we want to release numpy 1.9 soon. We should have solved
most indexing regressions the first beta showed.

The remaining blockers are finishing the new __numpy_ufunc__ feature.
This feature should allow for alternative method to overriding the
behavior of ufuncs from subclasses.
It is described here:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/neps/ufunc-overrides.rst

The current blocker issues are:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/4753
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4815

I'm not to familiar with all the complications of subclassing so I can't
really say how hard this is to solve.
My issue is that it there still seems to be debate on how to handle
operator overriding correctly and I am opposed to releasing a numpy with
yet another experimental feature that may or may not be finished
sometime later. Having datetime in infinite experimental state is bad
enough.
I think nobody is served well if we release 1.9 with the feature
prematurely based on a not representative set of users and the later
after more users showed up see we have to change its behavior.

So I'm wondering if we should delay the introduction of this feature to
1.10 or is it important enough to wait until there is a consensus on the
remaining issues?