[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-Dev] __numpy_ufunc__ and 1.9 release

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Jul 17 12:11:11 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Julian Taylor
<jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> as you may know we want to release numpy 1.9 soon. We should have solved
> most indexing regressions the first beta showed.
>
> The remaining blockers are finishing the new __numpy_ufunc__ feature.
> This feature should allow for alternative method to overriding the
> behavior of ufuncs from subclasses.
> It is described here:
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/neps/ufunc-overrides.rst
>
> The current blocker issues are:
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/4753
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4815
>
> I'm not to familiar with all the complications of subclassing so I can't
> really say how hard this is to solve.
> My issue is that it there still seems to be debate on how to handle
> operator overriding correctly and I am opposed to releasing a numpy with
> yet another experimental feature that may or may not be finished
> sometime later. Having datetime in infinite experimental state is bad
> enough.
> I think nobody is served well if we release 1.9 with the feature
> prematurely based on a not representative set of users and the later
> after more users showed up see we have to change its behavior.
>
> So I'm wondering if we should delay the introduction of this feature to
> 1.10 or is it important enough to wait until there is a consensus on the
> remaining issues?

-1 on delaying the release (but you knew I'd say that)

I don't have a strong feeling about whether or not we should disable
__numpy_ufunc__ for the 1.9 release based on those bugs. They don't
seem obviously catastrophic to me, but you make a good point about
datetime. I think it's your call as release manager...

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith
http://vorpus.org