[Numpy-discussion] Short-hand array creation in `numpy.mat` style

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Jul 18 06:37:46 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Charles G. Waldman <charles at crunch.io> wrote:

> -1 on the 'arr' name.  I think if we're going to support this function at all (which I'm not convinced is a good idea), it should be np.fromsomething like the other from* functions.
>
> Maybe frommatlab?
>
> I think that 'arr' is just too generic and too close to 'array'.

Well, it's definitely not a good idea if we name it something like that :-).

The whole motivation is to provide a quick way to type 2d arrays
interactively, hence the current name "np.mat". (The fact that it
happens to match matlab syntax is a nice bonus, because stealing is
always better than inventing when it works.)

--
Nathaniel J. Smith
http://vorpus.org