[Numpy-discussion] proposal: new commit guidelines for backportable bugfixes

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Jul 18 13:47:15 EDT 2014

18.07.2014 19:35, Julian Taylor kirjoitti:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com>
> wrote:
>> On 18 Jul 2014 15:36, "Julian Taylor"
>> <jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> git rebase --onto $(git merge-base master maintenance/1.9.x)
>>> HEAD^
>>
>> As a potential refinement, this might be simpler if we define a
>> branch that points to this commit.
>>

> we could do that, though the merge base changes to the last commit
> that was merged in that way. The old merge base is still valid but
> much older. I applied this method to some of my bugfixes so the
> current merge base of master and 1.9 is a commit from yesterday
> not anymore the diverging point of master and 1.9. But I don't know
> if the newer merge base makes any difference to git.

Will the merge base actually ever change if you don't merge the
branches to each other?

    ***

The other well-known alternative to bugfixes is to first commit it in
the earliest maintenance branch where you want to have it, and then
merge that branch forward to the newer maintenance branches, and
finally into master.

	Pauli