[Numpy-discussion] Numpy BoF at SciPy 2014 - quick report

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 18 14:43:39 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I've toyed some with the idea of adding a flag bit for transpose of 1-d
> arrays. It would flip with every transpose and be ignored for non 1-d
> arrays. A bit of a hack, but would allow for a column/row vector
> distinction.

very cool! I've thought for a while that one of the major things lacking
from numpy.matrix was row and column vectors. To do linear algebra
naturally, you really need those.

This may be a really lightweight way to get that - without the distinction
between "arrays" and "matrixes", which I think we're trying to get rid of
 with the @ operator.

when would this flag be used?

- linear algebra operations (mostly @ -- anything else?)

- broadcasting???

neat idea, anyway.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov