[Numpy-discussion] genfromtxt universal newline support

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Jun 30 10:39:35 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Julian Taylor
<jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> genfromtxt and loadtxt need an almost full rewrite to fix the botched
> python3 conversion of these functions. There are a couple threads
> about this on this list already.
> There are numerous PRs fixing stuff in these functions which I
> currently all -1'd because we need to fix the underlying unicode
> issues first.
> I have a PR were I started this for loadtxt but it is incredibly
> annoying to try to support all the broken use cases the function
> accidentally supported.
>
> 1.9 beta still uses the broken functions because I had no time to get
> this done correctly.
> But we should probably put a big fat future warning into the release
> notes that genfromtxt and loadtxt may stop working for your binary
> streams.
> That will probably allow us to start fixing these functions.

+1 to doing the proper fix instead of piling up buggy hacks. Do we
understand the difference between the current code and the "proper"
code well enough to detect cases where they differ and issue warnings
in those cases specifically?

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith