[Numpy-discussion] GSOC 2014 : "Improve Numpy datetime functionality"

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 3 12:38:41 EST 2014

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 6:42 AM, faisal anees <
mohammedfaisal.anees at students.iiit.ac.in> wrote:

> I am Mohammed Faisal Anees , a Computer Science student at IIIT-
> Hyderabad. I was going though the ideas page and I found "Improve Numpy
> datetime functionality" really interesting ,

It's great to have the interest!

One trick is that I dont hink there is a consensus on what needs to be done
to "improve datetime".

One thing that does need to be done is cleaning up time zone handling --
and I think we ALMOST have consensus on how to do that (at least the quick
fix part).

Take a look for threads on this list in the last year about "datetime64"
and this ticket:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3388

(and search for other datetime64 tickets...)

Note that we are hoping to fix that for 1.9 -- anyone have a time scale for
that? Too soon for GSoC?

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov