[Numpy-discussion] 1.8.1rc1 on sourceforge.

Jens Nielsen jenshnielsen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 13:27:46 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If we relax things too much, will we also get homebrew and macports and
>> built-it-myself pythons, and will they work?
>>
>> Not likely. On 10.7 and 10.8 python.org and system python use llvm-gcc
>> while IIRC homebrew used clang. There's probably more differences.
>>

> So the question is:
>
> If someone is running a brew python and does "pip install numpy"  will pip
> find a binary wheel that will then not work? That would be bad, but maybe
> not our problem -- brew users should be using brew to build numpy anyway.

No that is not how homebrew works. Brew does not pack anything that pip
installable: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/wiki/Homebrew-and-Python
so that would be a big issue. Especially since installing numpy with pip
and brew python just works without any problem when building from source.

There are unofficial brew taps (channels) with python packages but this not
the recommended way.

 /Jens