[Numpy-discussion] Dates and times and Datetime64 (again)

Sankarshan Mudkavi smudkavi at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 18 17:49:41 EDT 2014

Hey all,

It's been a while since the last datetime and timezones discussion thread was visited (linked below):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/53805

It looks like the best approach to follow is the UTC only approach in the linked thread with an optional flag to indicate the timezone (to avoid confusing applications where they don't expect any timezone info). Since this is slightly more useful than having just a naive datetime64 package and would be open to extension if required, it's probably the best way to start improving the datetime64 library.

If we do wish to have full timezone support it would very likely lead to performance drops (as reasoned in the thread) and we would need to have a dedicated, maintained tzinfo package, at which point it would make much more sense to just incorporate the pytz library. (I also don't have the expertise to implement this, so I would be unable to help resolve the current logjam)

I would like to start writing a NEP for this followed by implementation, however I'm not sure what the format etc. is, could someone direct me to a page where this information is provided?

Please let me know if there are any ideas, comments etc.

Cheers,
Sankarshan