[Numpy-discussion] Windows wheels using MKL?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:48:25 EDT 2014

Hi,

Can I check what is stopping us building official numpy binary wheels
for Windows using the Intel Math Kernel Library?

* We'd need developer licenses, but those sound like they would be
easy to come by
* We'd have to add something to the license for the wheel on the lines
of the Canopy license [1], derived from the MKL license [2] - is that
a problem?

Are there other problems for numpy?

* I believe we would also need the Intel Fortran compiler when
building 64-bit scipy with MSVC.  Is that correct?  If we have a
license, is that a problem?

If we did static linking to MKL for numpy and scipy, is there anything
stopping us building wheels that would work for XP and above, for 32
and 64 bit?

Maybe this is not the ideal solution, but perhaps it's the right thing
to do for now?

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] https://www.enthought.com/products/canopy/canopy-license/