[Numpy-discussion] Default builds of OpenBLAS development branch are now fork safe

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 09:55:52 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Olivier Grisel
<olivier.grisel at ensta.org> wrote:
> My understanding of Carl's effort is that the long term goal is to
> have official windows whl packages for both numpy and scipy published
> on PyPI with a builtin BLAS / LAPACK implementation so that users can
> do `pip install scipy` under windows and get something that just works
> without have to install any compiler (fortran or C) nor any additional
> library manually.
>
> Most windows users are beginners and you cannot really expect them to
> understand how to build the whole scipy stack from source.
>
> The current solution (executable setup installers) is not optimal as
> it requires Administrator rights to run, does not resolve dependencies
> as pip does and cannot be installed in virtualenvs.

as small related point:

The official installers can be used to install in virtualenv
The way I do it:
Run the superpack, official installer, wait until it extracts the
correct (SSE) install exe, then cancel
Then easy_install the install exe file that has been extracted to the
temp folder into the virtualenv.

I don't remember if the extraction already requires admin rights, but
I think not.
easy_install doesn't require any, IIRC.

Josef