[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.8.1 release

Olivier Grisel olivier.grisel at ensta.org
Mon Mar 31 08:17:18 EDT 2014

>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Olivier Grisel
>> <olivier.grisel at ensta.org> wrote:
>>> This is great! Has anyone started to work on OSX whl packages for
>>> scipy? I assume the libgfortran, libquadmath & libgcc_s dylibs will
>>> not make it as easy as for numpy. Would it be possible to use a static
>>> gcc toolchain as Carl Kleffner is using for his experimental windows
>>> whl packages?
>>
>> Yes, these are already done for the beta release, and for matplotlib:
>>
>> https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/scipy_installers/
>>
>> Luckily OSX has a sensible way of setting relative paths to required
>> libraries, so it's pretty easy to copy the required dlls into the
>> binary distribution:
>>
>> https://github.com/matthew-brett/delocate
>
> Great! Do you think it would be possible to upload such a delocated
> .whl package for scipy 0.13.3 on pypi if all tests pass?

I built such a whl package for the v0.13.3 tag of scipy, delocated it,
"brew uninstall gfortran" to make sure that the dynlib loader would
not be able to find the system libs, installed the resulting whl
package in a new virtualenv and ran the tests:

$ python -c "import scipy; scipy.test()"
[...]
Ran 8775 tests in 123.315s

OK (KNOWNFAIL=113, SKIP=221)

This is built on OSX 10.9. You can find the resulting wheel package on
my dropbox:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5743203/sklearn/wheelhouse/scipy-0.13.3-cp34-cp34m-macosx_10_6_intel.whl

If scipy maintainers would like to upload such wheel packages for
scipy 0.13.3 I can also prepare them for Python 2.7 and Python 3.3.

--
Olivier