[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.8.1 release

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 13:18:26 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Olivier Grisel
<olivier.grisel at ensta.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Olivier Grisel
>> <olivier.grisel at ensta.org> wrote:
>>> This is great! Has anyone started to work on OSX whl packages for
>>> scipy? I assume the libgfortran, libquadmath & libgcc_s dylibs will
>>> not make it as easy as for numpy. Would it be possible to use a static
>>> gcc toolchain as Carl Kleffner is using for his experimental windows
>>> whl packages?
>>
>> Yes, these are already done for the beta release, and for matplotlib:
>>
>> https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/scipy_installers/
>>
>> Luckily OSX has a sensible way of setting relative paths to required
>> libraries, so it's pretty easy to copy the required dlls into the
>> binary distribution:
>>
>> https://github.com/matthew-brett/delocate
>
> Great! Do you think it would be possible to upload such a delocated
> .whl package for scipy 0.13.3 on pypi if all tests pass?
>
> Bonus question: do you think a similar solution could work for windows
> and / or linux?

For linux - yes - I think that should be easy with a combination of
``ldd`` to find the dependencies and ``patchelf`` to set the rpath to
point to the copied library.

For Windows - I believe that it is not possible to set relative paths
for windows DLLs, but I'd be very happy to be corrected.  There is a
function SetDllDirectory [1], but this would need some extra extension
code in the package.  Windows experts - is that an option?

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686203(VS.85).aspx